25.10.11

a word from my mother...

It must've been about six years ago when a friend from gymnastics let me borrow some Anime he had been suggesting I watch. He already had the whole set of episodes on DVDs, so I figured what the hell.

The title of the Anime was (and I guess still is) "Negima!?". Please note: irrelevent English punctuation is not uncommon in Japanese, let alone irrelevent English. The story is about a 12 year old wizard named Negi Springfield* who works as a professor at an all-girls middle school in order to complete his wizardly training. He's annoying, whiny, and dweebish. Granted, he's extremely smart, and he knows magic.



Basically, the 31 girls he teaches all develope crushes on him, and throughout the show there's a lot of emotional drama, boobs breasts, and some brief girl on girl action. And then as luck would have it, a girl dies at the end but is brought back to life. Something about a deal with the devil**? Appearently they've recently relseased another set of episodes for this Anime series. That being said, I have no intention of watching them any time soon if not at all.

All in all, I cannot remember how I ever finished watching that show. I'm not even sure that I liked it. Looking back now, the plot wasn't that brilliant and the audience was definetly girl oriented. I think. I do rememeber my mother giving me some sound advice regarding Anime during the period that I was watching this show. It was a short but sweet lecture.
Jonathan. Those Japanese people teach children sex. They hook kids on TV shows, and then make them about sex when they're older. I grew up in Thailand.
I admit I have never been blind to the content that is out there, and that even goes before my mother's proverb. While I already have a general idea, I do plan on researching the specific genres of Anime and Manga. For instance, "Negima!?" falls under the categories of School, Harem, and Romance wheras Dragon Ball Z would be in Shonen and Action. But as I said, I will cover these topics and genres later. Including ones that will make the former Dowdle cover her face with her hands and rethink her life.

That being said, the main purpose of this post is to provide a nice transition into the more "formal" and information-based blog posts that are soon to come.


*To my mentor: does that name sound familiar?
**Spoiler alert!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha....The show does sound a little familiar.

    I think my vocal chords are still in a state of shock after that show. As silly and comical as the show may seem, there were a lot a huge challenges with this show.

    Sounding like a nine and a half to twelve year old kid is tough. Add in the British (RP) accent work, the spells screamed in Latin, and the long hours in the booth - and suddenly it seems like a lot of work.

    Luci Christian (Asuna) and I would record for as long as 10 hours straight on that show. Luci's role called for a lot of screaming and yelling. My role was incredibly high in pitch. So we would often call each other up after long session, and compare "battle scars".

    While content of this show leans a little heavy on the side of "fan service" (naughty stuff), we also do plenty of kif friendly shows like Dragon Ball Z Kai, and Hello Kitty's Fairy Tale Theater.

    Hope all of the girls didn't freak your mom out too bad.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete